Saturday, January 9, 2010

Saturday Night Meal


Its cold, its Winter, its dark by 5:00pm. I went into the freezer hoping to find some pork chops, but instead pulled out steaks. I had a recipe from Mario Batali's Molto Italiano cookbook that I was intending to follow for pork chops but had to pass that one up since all I could locate in the freezer was steak. Oh well. I found another recipe in Mario Batali's book that I really like except for one ingredient: Baby Lamb. What follows is based in the Roman style baby lamb recipe.

Makes 2 servings
3 tablespoons olive oil
3-5 scallions (depending on size), medium chopped
2 steaks (~ 1 lb total weight)
sea salt
Black pepper
Garlic powder
1/4 cup red wine vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
1 cup dry sherry (or dry white wine)

In a large, deep, heavy skillet (or cast iron stock pot as I used), heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, sprinkle with 1-2tsp of garlic powder depending on taste (i used more, i like garlic) and saute until slightly opaque.

Increase the heat to medium high and add the steaks. Cook 5 minutes on each side.

Add the vinegar, turn the heat down, and allow to evaporate, about 10 minutes. Turning the meat as needed.

Add half of the dry sherry and allow to evaporate, turning the meat as needed. Once the first half of the sherry has nearly evaporated, add the second half and continue turning the meat over as needed. Allow to fully cook down, which takes about 20-30 minutes depending on stove top.

Transfer the meat to a plate and scoop out the onions and reduced wine to the meat.

I went old school with my meal and made boiled potatoes with garlic and butter to complement the steak. Enjoy!

No comments: